Monday, February 11, 2008

Challenges..

I've often talked about how life is full of challenges and it's part of what makes life worth living. If we don't have challenges, we won't grow. And if we don't grow, we die. Period. It's that simple. Just as in nature, growth is part of living. And growth is preceded by change which is often in the form of a challenge.


For the last few weeks I've faced a big challenge with the man I am dating. He has 2 young daughters and a demanding job...not to mention friends, family, volunteer work and hobbies. All of those things add up to a full schedule which makes time for us a bit difficult to come by.


The other night we talked on the phone about a few things and haven't really decided what to do. We want to continue seeing each other and to build our relationship. We just don't know how to do that because neither one of us has really been down this path before.

And I'm ok with that. I'm ok with not knowing exactly how many nights he can give me from week to week. I'm ok with his kids being his first priority. Frankly, I would punch him in the head if they weren't. I'm ok with the fact that he volunteers and it takes up some of his free time. He wouldn't be who he is if he didn't have all of these things. I want him for who he is and all of those things make him the man he is.

What I'm not ok with is giving up or quitting because things are hard or because we have challenges. I've never been a person to back down from a challenge or a difficult situation...not if my heart wanted it.

And my heart wants him. A lot. More than I've wanted anyone else in a very, very long time.

I just don't know if he wants this enough. I guess time will tell.

No comments: