Thursday, June 01, 2006

Homeward Bound

That damn Simon & Garfunkel song keeps ringing in my ears because I am homeward bound tomorrow night. I'm going back to Wisconsin for 2 weddings and a graduation. It should be an emotional rollercoaster ride of a trip. I hate to be selfish but weddings make me think of my life and wonder what it would be like to get married. Then I decide I don't want the headache of the planning, spending, planning & spending some more! If I ever do it, I'm eloping. Yep - running off to an island somewhere and y'all will get a simple postcard from me after the fact. No fuss, no muss - just a sweet and simple ceremony with me, the groom & our families. I think too often people - namely brides - get caught up in the weddings and forget about the marriage. How many women have you met who've bought gowns BEFORE they were engaged? I've heard of it - and if any of my friends have done it, don't you dare tell me. I will make fun of your crazy azz. I do understand wanting to buy a nice dress though - why not just buy a few prom dresses when they go on sale? You can get your fix that way. I'm a firm believer in buying several things if you love them - you love pretty dresses? Buy 3 prom dresses after the season instead of one wedding dress which you may or may not wear in your lifetime. And what in the hell are you going to do with that dress if you never get married? I don't know about you but I don't want that reminder in my closet when I turn 65. Crazy. Spend that money on something useful - like saving the rainforests, buying textbooks for our inner city kids or some crap. If you can't think of any other way to spend it, call me..I've got a few ideas. Clearly weddings get me in a tizzy. But I also have a graduation to attend - my sister's!!! She's 18 y'all and a spitfire. I am incredibly proud and honored to call her my sister - she is carrying on the family tradition of being both beautiful AND intelligent. She graduates in the top 10 percent of her class and has a sizeable scholarship to attend Viterbo U in LaCrosse. I tried to talk her into coming here to Colorado but that didn't happen. Maybe I can work my magick and get her out here after she graduates. I can dream right?! So in the usual tradition of mad rushes, I have a wedding on June 9th, another one on June 10th and my sister's graduation party on June 10th as well. Hells bells it will be a whirlwind of activity and I will not be rested when I return. I am a little nervous about all I have going on while I'm at home actually - worried I will be a basketcase when I get back. Going home is typically emotional for me - I miss my family and seeing them only to come back to Colorado makes me miss them more. It takes me a few days to get back to a centered place after a trip home and I fear this trip may need more than a few days to find my inner source again. So what am I going to do to get ready for my trip? I'm going out for a drink (or 3) tonight. Quite perfect don't you think?!

No comments: