Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Torino

So I'm a fan of the Olympics - in particular the Winter Games. I'm never around during the summer time (far too much daylight and I feel compelled to be outside!). Since 2002, I've been a follower of the sport short-track speedskating. It's fast, furious & unpredictable. And as much as I enjoy watching it on TV, it's nothing compared to the live stuff. But I digress... I love the Olympics. I do recall sitting in a friend's living room in '02 watching curling on a Saturday night. That's how much I love the Games - not just the sexy sports but all the competitions. It's incredible to see so many competitors gathered together from across the globe, learning from each other, sharing in the spirit of the moment. Nowhere else will you see selfless displays in the ego-driven sporting world. The men & women of the Olympics are absolutely incredible - they don't earn millions of dollars from contracts; they don't piss and moan when they have to go to practice day in & day out. They compete because they love the sport - the sport itself, not what the sport brings them. It's amazing and we should all tip our hats to them. I love the display of humanity - that's the most indelible mark of the Olympics. It renews my faith in the beauty of the human spirit. If you'd like to see a schedule of the Games, click here. Enter your zip code in the upper right and the TV listings will pop up. Cheer on our athletes from all countries & in all the competitions.

No comments: