Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Odd Dreams...

Have you ever had a dream that stuck with you after you woke up? It affected your whole day?


I had one of those last night/this morning.


I dreamt of my grandmother (maternal). She was sick and sitting on my lap (very much cradled in my arms like a baby - weird I know). She was telling me that someone (don't remember the person's name) wanted to send her back to the home because she was so ill. She was very afraid and needed my comfort. I felt so helpless as I held her and told her I'd find a way to take care of her without having to return to the nursing home.


It's such an odd dream because my grandmother is so healthy and reasonably strong for a woman her age (she's pushing 80 I believe). She takes care of her house by herself (minus the shoveling and mowing which my uncle does for her), is active in several community groups and generally insists on being independent long after my grandfather has passed.


I have made a note to call her and check on her but I think the dream is more symbolic than literal. She represents something/someone to me but I'm not sure whom or what.


There is naturally a side of me that identifies with her. I get my petiteness and height from her along my independence and steadfastness.


But is that the side of me that needs mothering and nurturing right now? Perhaps. It would make sense on some level since there are parts of me that are hurting. But maybe it is more than that. Not sure so I will have to think about it and let my subconscious play with it.

No comments: