Monday, August 21, 2006

One Minute

The last several years I have been on a quest: a quest to improve my life. Not a small feat I know but it is a worthy one. Admittedly some days I feel like Don Quixote chasing windmills but other days I know I'm on track. Saturday was one of those days.

Last week was a hard week for me. I didn't get two jobs I had felt confident about. And I felt like a bloated, beached whale but all women know we feel that way from time to time. It's part of the gloriousness of the female body. Anyway...I spent the weekend pet-sitting in Boulder. I didn't get to see any of my friends for a variety of reasons. I am trying to cut down on my TV viewing because it's bad for creativity..at least for me. So I found a book on the pet owners' shelf and dug in. This book is called The One Minute Millionaire by Robert Allen (author of "Multiple Streams of Income" and Mark Hanson (author of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series). Some of you may have heard of this book. I had and had intended to check it out from the library but hadn't gotten around to it. I read it and read it and read it. There are some incredible concepts and ideas in this book.

I felt rather inspired reading it. You know that kind of inspired that makes your entire body tingle from head to toes and back again. I needed that inspiration because my mind had gotten stuck in desperation & scarcity mode. Shortly I will need to dig into my savings to pay bills and it's causing me to panic. It still is as a matter of fact but I'm turning that thought process around and focusing on abundance and prosperity, not scarcity. It's tough to do especially when you are smacked in the face with constant reminders of your lack of income.

But back to the book...the theme of the book is basically little things you can do to change your mindset, your habits and your objectives to become a millionaire. But the most compelling part of the book is the amazing emphasis on giving. Yes, giving. It has taken me a long time to realize money isn't evil, it isn't bad. In fact, it isn't anything at all...nothing but paper. This book emphasizes the importance of tithing, tithing your time, tithing your money. Giving is something I have always believed in. It is something that is a part of me and a natural part of my being. I'm a giver by nature and this book resonated with me because of that. How many of us really give 10% back? If our earnings are a gift from above then why not give 10% of that back? It's a way of thanking the Universe for its bounty and blessings. I don't believe I've given 10% back this year - I did last year and the year before that. So inspite of my low checking account balance, I will be making a donation tomorrow.

If you have the opportunity, buy a copy of One Minute Millionaire. It's worth the $21 price tag.

More to come children but for now, I am off to sleep...pleasant dreams.

No comments: